The goal of the 10 Pound Throwdown Challenge is to help rally co-workers and friends around a common cause - adding healthy choices
to your daily life. Changing eating habits and being active can make a big difference in losing weight or staying at a healthy weight.
Adults living in southcentral Pennsylvania are encouraged to participate, either as an individual or in a team. Teams may be formed
by community organizations, employers, faith-based groups, families, neighborhoods, and other entities.
Registration begins on the 10 Pound Throwdown website on February 1st 2018, but individuals cannot start the Challenge
(tracking their weight and working toward webpage specific goals) until it officially begins on Monday, March 12th, 2018 at noon.
What are the features of the 10 Pound Throwdown Challenge?
Participation in the Challenge requires individuals to register on the 10 Pound Throwdown website -
www.10poundthrowdown.com. Participants will have access to weekly healthy living tips, tracking
tools (see below), progress charts, and a list of local community resources. Each week, there will be a badge challenge where participants
can earn a badge for reaching goals. The badges are designed to keep you on track throughout the Challenge and will help you focus not just on
weight, but on the many healthy behaviors that can help you feel your best. And just a little heads up... there are 6 bonus badges available
this year too, which participants will learn more about once the Challenge starts. Employer groups will find the
Employer Toolkit useful in forming teams for the Challenge.
Team captains will also have access to a variety of tips and tools for keeping team members engaged throughout the 10 week Challenge.
Participants are encouraged to visit these tracking tools each week:
- Badge Tracker - Participate in the weekly badge goal and collect online badges each week.
- Weight tracker - log your weight each week and monitor your progress for the entire 10-week Challenge. Track the progress of your team and/or employer, if participating.
How can I win prizes?
Prizes will be awarded as follows:
- Weekly Badge Prizes- Those participants who earn the weekly badge by meeting the goal on the Badge Tracker page are eligible fo the weekly raffle drawing (2 names are drawn each week).
- Grand Prize Raffle- A total of 6 participants will receive grand prizes from a raffle at the end of the Challenge. Eligibility for the raffle depends on participation and meeting goals- you must enter your weight for 7 or more weeks or earn 7 or more badges in the Badge Tracker to be eligible.
- Team Prizes- members of the team with the greatest percentage (%) weight loss at the end of the 10 Pound Throwdown will receive medals.
- Traveling Trophy/ Bragging Rights- the employer group/ organization with the greatest percentage (%) weight loss will be recognized with a "traveling" trophy.
To learn more, check out the Prizes page.
What's your goal?
Challenge participants are encouraged to set personal goals to improve eating habits, be more active and/or lose weight. It's important
to set a healthy weight goal for yourself. During the 10 Pound Throwdown Challenge, plan to lose no more than 1 to 2 pounds per week. For
advice on a healthy weight, talk to your doctor or a dietician, or use the BMI calculator at http://www.eatright.org/bmi/
After registering, take time to review the tips in the "Getting Started" section.